Progressive Caucus Budget? Yeah, It Exists.
But you won’t hear much about it. Why? It’s progressive, of course! Paul Ryan’s joke of a budget will get endless airplay unless it becomes another albatross around the neck of the GOP. Then it will magically disappear and our “liberal” media will pretend it never existed. Just like last year! Weeks of praise for Ryan as “serious” and “courageous” and after the Democrats had a field day pointing out its many flaws including the death of Medicare, no one in the “liberal” media and certainly no one on the right wanted to talk about it anymore.
If the President’s budget is the center(ish) budget and Ryan’s
bad attempt at humor budget is the fringe right, then the Progressive Caucus budget would be the left. Strangely enough, there’s very little in it that the American public disagrees with in poll after poll after poll. Here’s a taste of the crazed, radical proposals:
Our Budget Creates a Fairer America
• Ends tax cuts for the top 2% of Americans on schedule at year’s end
• Extends tax relief for middle class households and the vast majority of Americans
• Creates new tax brackets for millionaires and billionaires, in line with the Buffett Rule principle
• Eliminates the tax code’s preferential treatment of capital gains and dividends
• Abolishes corporate welfare for oil, gas, and coal companies
• Eliminates loopholes that allow businesses to dodge their true tax liability
• Creates a publicly funded federal election system that gets corporate money out of politics for good
See anything outlandish in there? Me neither. But while Ryan is treated like a wise sage despite the fact his budget would alter the country in fundamental (and fundamentally bad for anyone not rich) ways, the Progressive budget will be treated like a dirty diaper by the press. You know, our “liberal” press. Unfortunately, it will be treated that way by far too many Democrats as well. We really need to get more progressives in Congress and not just left leaning politicians. Or at least give them the support to vote liberal and not immediately get voted out of office.